Monday, July 9, 2012

Rote Learning is no Learning at all



Kapil Edke explains the problems in education system which emphasises on rote learning or memorisation. He suggests that the evaluation criteria should instead be focussed on application of the concepts.


Fortunately, while in school, I was not one of those who used to study 24 x 7 or whose Moms used to make them study all the time. Of course, I was also not at the other spectrum of pupils who used to hate the studies and would hold the textbook only on the day before examinations. I had my favourite subjects and areas, which used to keep me interested in this whole system of school and education and teachers. I was particularly strong in Mathematics and languages. But rote learning or memorisation was something which used to drive me away from studies. I had realised quite early on in my life that memorising anything might fetch a few extra points in exams but I was not going to remember anything after a few days and hence the whole exercise would be futile.

Looking back now, I realise how practical I was then! The problem is in the education system which encourages people to memorise. Of course, I am not terming anything and everything which requires memorisation as useless. There are certain aspects of study which do require rote learning. For example, one is required to remember word forms and grammar rules in Sanskrit. In Mathematics, one has to memorise certain formulae, not just at school level but even at graduate and post graduate levels. However what irritates me is any kind of exam system which focuses on memorising the concepts without testing their application. Thus, I am not against memorising Sanskrit word forms, as one is normally expected to apply them in exam in sentence structuring. I am also not complaining about remembering Mathematics formulae as one would solve problems using them. However, I think the questions like "write short note on" (which is never short), "briefly explain ...." and "describe in brief" simply test short term memory of the students and grade them accordingly, without ever testing their real understanding of the subject.

This system of rote learning also makes the life of school students miserable. That's because it takes so much time to study that they are left with hardly any time for any other activity. The students who succeed in this short term memory test may shine for some years, but find it really tough to stand in competitive examinations post 10th and 12th like IIT's, Olympiads and NDAs.

How can this situation be improved? I think our teachers as well as parents should work towards abolishing any kind of rote learning system which lacks application. Teachers should set the evaluation systems which test the real understanding of the student and not his memory. This would mean questions like small cases, multiple choice questions, spontaneous speeches etc. Parents should observe how the child studies at home and discourage him from memorising anything, if he is doing so only for the purpose of writing answers.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kapil Edke

    The goal of any robust education system should be to make sure that students really understand the concepts and remember those for a long time. This can never happen in rote learning, where the focus is just to pass or get good grades, are you rightly pointed out.

    If teachers in our schools make sure that they don't merely test student's memories in the examinations, the entire focus of learning would change.

    - Sathish

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma used to tell me to rote things when I was in secondary school and then she used to check to what extent I remember the things. As I grew older and the no of subjects and the volume of studies increased I started finding it increasingly difficult to learn this way. So I started reading multiple times and remember only the important points. That way, I could finish the studies faster and also write answers in exam effortlessly and score well. So the students need to devise their own ways to understand the concepts in a way they could explain in exams. Because finally, we can't ignore the fact that exams are the most important. Thanks to Kapil Edke for writing on very good topic which is so close to my heart.

    - Pavithra Ramamurthy

    ReplyDelete