Monday, July 9, 2012

My favorite comedy TV series



The following article written by Kapil Edke mentions some of the all time best comedy series ever aired on Indian television channels.

Who doesn't like comedy? I think everyone does. That's because comedy has the power to make us happy and forget out tensions and troubles for a while and enjoy the present moment. Since childhood, I am inclined towards reading comedy books, writing comedy articles and watching comedy films, dramas and TV series.

In this blog, I would like to make a mention of some of the best comedy TV series I have enjoyed. Perhaps, you have enjoyed them, too. If this blog helps you remembering your old childhood days when you grew up laughing while watching these series, I would assume that the purpose of this blog has been met.

One of those is Jaspal Bhatti's Flop Show. Mr. Jaspal has shown day-to-day problems in common Indian's life like water shortage, power cuts, inflation, corruption etc. albeit in very different fashion. It is such a wonderfulo series which not just makes us laugh while watching, but makes us seriously think about these problems which are plaguing our society for decades and yet we as a nation have not been able to find an effective solution. This great actor, unfortunately, could never again come up with another comedy which could match the high standards set by himself. No one else, too, could produce a comparable comedy in last 20 years. In that sense, Flop Show occupies a special place in our hearts.

Another one which makes me wonder is Small Wonder. This series in America of 1980's does not make us feel culturally disconnected. The joke quality is simply awesome. I have watched this series in Hindi and the dubbing is one of the best qualities I have ever seen (otherwise, most of the art works seem to loose their lustre when they are translated as we see commonly). Also, presence of children in any series makes it more effective, I must say. It makes us feel younger, makes us recall our school days and energizes us. This is surely one series I can watch again, again and yet again.

The third and last one I would mention in this article is Didi's Comedy Show. This guy, Didi is a German comedy actor called Dieter Hallervorden and has acted in many shows and movies, I understand. What was shown on Doordarshan in early 1990's were probably his best episodes. I was too young at that time and most of his jokes being action-oriented used to make me laugh like anything.

Probably, you too have seen these three series. The number of channels on the television when these series were aired were very few, and most of the good programmes were watched by almost everyone, so the chances of missing anything good were remote. It is sad to note that today, we have so many channels and hundreds of options, but quality has deteriorated drastically.


2 comments:

  1. Would like to add two more in this list: Dekh Bhai Dekh and Jaban Sambhalke. I remember there were only a handful of TV channels when these series were going on and almost whole India used to watch those. Great days those were!!

    - Sathish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kapil, I think Small Wonder was awesome and it's my all time favorite TV series. There is hardly any episode of Small Wonder which I didn't like. Various human tendencies are perfectly depicted in this series.
    - Pavithra

    ReplyDelete